The Golden Visa Program, also known as the Program for Residence Authorization for Investment purposes, was created by the Portuguese government in 2012, to boost the economy. The goal is to attract investment to Portugal, from individuals or companies of nationals of non EU countries. The Golden Visa Program requires that the applicant makes one of the below mentioned investments, namely in a 5 year period, beeing renewed in the first and third year.
- Acquisition of Real Estate with a value equal to, or above 500 thousand euros.
- Acquisition of Real Estate, constructed more than 30 years ago or located in a city redevelopment area or the implementation of redevelopment work of purchased properties, with a value equal to, or above 350 thousand euros.
- Capital transfer with a value equal to, or above 350 euros, for investment on research areas
- Capital transfer with a value equal to, or above 250 thousand euros, for investment or support of cultural projects or renovation or preservation of portuguese cultural heritage.
- Capital transfer equal to, or above 500 thousand euros, for the aquisition of shares of investment funds or venture capital, for capitalisation of small and medium-sized enterprises, as well as upon a presentation of an appropriate feasible study/plan.
- Creation of, at least, 10 job positions
- Capital transfer with a value equal to, or above 1 million euros
The application shall be submitted 1. online via www.sef.pt or
2. Portuguese diplomatic and consular representations or
3. Regional offices of the Foreigners and Border Service (SEF).
The residence permit is also extended and valid for applicant's family members, enabling travel in Schengen agreement countries and foresees a minimum permanence in national territory of: 7 days, consecutive or otherwise, in the first year and 14 days, consecutive or otherwise, in the subsequent two year periods.